Monday, July 21, 2008

07 Wyoming Archery Antelope and Muledeer

In 2007 I planned a hunt with the TV show the Best of The West and in early September and it was off to Wyoming. I had drawn both a Antelope and Mule deer tag but only had time to be away from the office for 3 days. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get it all done in such a small window but it was the 1st hunt of the year and I was excited for the opportunity.
On the 1st day we sat in a blind over a water hole. We must have had at least 30 different Antelope come in.
They were all fun to watch but non of them were big enough until this bad boy came in.
He came in straight on and I didn't have a shot. As he got ready to leave he turned broad side, the camera man gave me the thumbs up and I let the shot go.
At 30 yards it was a perfect pass through and and my goat didn't go more than 50 yards.
This was my first Antelope and I was flying high. What an exciting hunt!
On day 2 we woke up early to scout out a couple of agricultural fields for Mule Deer. I was hopeful after the previous days hunts but I knew it was going to be a tall order to harvest a good buck with my bow in just 2 days. As it was getting light we spotted a couple of nice bucks. To make a long story short we bedded them down and blew a stalk, but were lucky enough to get a 2nd chance.
On the 2nd stalk it was so windy it was hard for the deer to hear us. This was a huge advantage for us. The deer had moved since we last saw them and we unknowingly snuck within 10 yards of the deer. We got busted. In the confusion of it all I ended up shooting the smaller of the 2 deer. Still a nice trophy with my bow.
After the hunt I couldn't believe what had just transpired. I had harvested 2 Pope and Young animals in just 2 days. Yeehaw,I was flying high!

1 comment:

Griffin Christensen said...

Nice man! I want to see the pics of the new one!!