Sunday, July 20, 2008

07 Utah Mule Deer

In October of 2007 I had a trip of a life time planned to the Yukon Territories to hunt giant moose and caribou. Because of bad weather conditions and a tight advertising schedule at work we had to cancel. Although I was happy that I didn't have to spend 10 days away from my family, I was heart broken that I missed my opportunity of a lifetime to hunt giant moose. I look forward to another chance to go someday.
Because I wasn't able to go moose hunting it meant that I was now able to hunt deer in my home state of Utah. I got a tag in the Northern region and planned a hunt. Weather conditions on the first day of the hunt were windy, it had the deer bedded up in thick cover. The afternoon of day 2 the wind finally died down and the hunt was on.

We spotted this deer on the skyline at 1300 yards away. We set the spotting scope up and took a look at him. I knew right away that I wanted to go after this deer. He had a nice frame, good front forks, and a hook coming off one side of his antler.

Light was fading fast and I had cut the distance down to 350 yards before I ran out of cover. The deer was above me on a steep incline. He had spotted me and it looked like he was going to split.

I got a good rest and took the shot. The deer went right down. I was so happy when I walked up to him. He had heavy bases, good front forks, and a 9 1/2 inch hook coming of his left side. The buck ended up grossing 188. My largest Mule deer to date.

2 comments:

Spencer said...

The pictures of this buck never get old.

Rich said...

Thanks Spence, you are a stud!