Friday, September 12, 2008

Wyoming Mule Deer 2004

In 2004, good friend Matt Sterzer and I got the news that we had drawn our Wyoming deer tags. This was my first out of state hunt and although I had sticker shock at the price, I was excited for the opportunity! We discovered a good area by doing some research and talking with a few "experts". On Sept 15 we were on our way. Driving up, we watched hunting videos and read magazines. Matt would hold up a picture of a big buck and ask "would you shoot that and what do you think it scores". Doing this had us over excited and convinced that we were both going to harvest a 200+ inch deer.
We got to the trail head and packed in 7 or so miles on Matt's horse. We set up camp and had about 2 1/2 hr hike each morning to get to where we thought the good deer were.
While hunting we passed on some great bucks looking for that magical 200 inch deer. We never saw him. But we had a memorable time in some amazing country.
I shot this deer in the 3rd Day of the hunt. He had a good frame and I made a quick decision to shoot.
He ended up gross scoring 171.
We saw some beautiful country. I really love back country hunting, especially with good friends!

1 comment:

Amy said...

you know rich- that ranks as one of my all time favorite hunts! Our first out of stater and you pulled a heavy, old massive buck off the mountain. You're an awesome friend man and I have enjoyed every minute spent with you on the mountain!
-sterz